Sustainable value of concrete:
- It is strong and durable, resistant to deterioration and damage.
- It buffers temperature, and can be used to work with passive solar energy to heat or cool spaces.
- It buffers sound.
- It is versatile, allowing a large range of shapes, textures, and structural approaches to create the function, look, and feel appropriate to the project.
- It is also versatile in the flexibility of component materials, a quality which both extends the range of performance properties – insulation, permeability, and strength – and allows variation in the resources used to produce it.
Read more: http://www.sustainableconcrete.org/
Tilt-Up construction offers a number of benefits toward sustainable, environmentally responsible design. For instance,
- Cast in place minimizes transportation costs.
- Thermal mass of tilt-up eliminates the need for insulation.
- The large panels require less energy and labor for erection and finishing.
- And tilt-up buildings can be designed to accommodate change, with panels that are easy to move, remove and reuse, or even recycle if necessary.
A.H. Harris carries a variety of Green Building Products, for example:
- Curlex®NetFree™: a SUSTAINABLE ECB without netting and made from BIODEGRADABLE wood fibers
- Curlex Sediment Log®: SUSTAINABLEproducts to filter runoff, retain sediment and dissipate flows using BIODEGRADABLE excelsior fibers
- Recyclex®TRM and Recyclex® TRM-V: made from RECYCLED soda bottles
Sonoco Sonotubes – utilizes recycled materials, see http://www.sonoco.com/sustainability/environmentalstewardship.aspx
- Low emitting materilas such as Starseal Clear concrete hardener and sealer
- Optimized energy performacnce such as Certi-Shine
- Both products are also made of recycled content
Talk to your local Harris Construction Supplies store for more info about LEED certified solutions, sustainable construction and green building material.